Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Here She Comes Now, Makin' Mole Mole!

A few weeks have gone by since I tried my hand at making a mole dish. You may recall, my mole-loving husband was a fan of the Enchiladas with Mole Sauce that I made last time. As for me.... not so much. But try try trying again is the point of this game!
Here's my husband, after eating my last mole. He was saying, "I love you mole mo mo mole, I do!"
 This time, I made a Lentil and Eggplant Chili Mole, which I curiously found online accompanied by claims it is "the world's most filling vegan dish." Hmmm. I definitely take issue with that claim, as I have personally cooked up some vegan gems that are filling to the point that one can literally do nothing but lay down for a few hours after eating them! Regardless, I thought this would be a good mole to whack!

This recipe was not as far out as the last mole recipe, which was a real fucked up conglomeration of bullshit! This one contained the expected, yet dreaded,  2 tbsp of cocoa powder, but everything else in it were things that one would more or less expect in a vegan chili. The last mole sauce contained, not only chopped baking chocolate, but peanuts, tortilla chips, and if I'm remembering correctly, the actual kitchen sink! 

For the skeptical, the eggplant was actually totally reasonable in this chili! I had my doubts, but the eggplant was a tasty and appropriate ingredient!
I liked this mole ok. It didn't make me feel so good, like a pony..... and I much prefer a "normal" flavored chili, but I could deal with it just fine. However, my husband was about halfway through his bowl before I informed him that he was eating mole chili. He replied that it was, "a little bit mole-like", but really, I guess you need to include the whole fucked up conglomeration of bullshit in order to prepare a true mole. I will try again, and next time, I'll use a real mole recipe that calls for eyes without a face, a rebel yell, a white wedding, a cradle of love and the rest of the screwed up stuff that is apparently essential to make a proper mole. And I won't stop cookin' til I feel all right, yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment