Thursday, April 12, 2012

Ghost Kitchen USA

My kitchen is beginning to look like a ghost town. I keep expecting Jim Backus to come and lock me up in an abandoned jail cell, because he thinks I'm trying to steal his gold! And I tell ya, anyone coming to my house to steal frozen food, pasta, rice or assorted oils and vinegars would be sorely disappointed in the current offerings! The freezer is basically empty. The normally packed shelves on the refrigerator door now contain just a few lonely bottles that fall over every time I open the door (this has NEVER before been an issue for me!!!). I have only 1/4 cup of olive oil left, which terrifies me. Will that measly amount possibly last me until Monday?!?!? I know I just bragged about what a small amount of money I spent on food for this week, but looking at my barren pantry, I now realize the dark side to this.... the next time I go shopping, I will literally have to spend $300 just to restock my essentials!
Here is the view of the inside of my freezer.
Even though I haven't been able to go wild with bringing a bunch of Weird Foods into my house this week, every day, there have still been moments which fill me with awe and wonder. For example, I needed a little snack before dinner yesterday. And do you know what I had a craving for?!? I'm not kidding, but I wanted some sliced radishes with Tapatio on them! I craved radishes! And I enjoyed them as a perfect little snack! Shocking! Last night, I also found myself doing something I'd never dreamed I would ever do. I made a batch of Pickled Red Onions, which I need for tonight, to serve on my Spicy Poblano Burgers with Pickled Red Onions and Chipotle Sour Cream. I don't know who I am anymore! Nor do I know who my husband is anymore! Last night, I sat, stunned, and watched him eat a Spinach Salad with AVOCADOS and Peppers, which was thick with Dijon Dressing. He is now fond of exclaiming, "I like mustard now! I like beer and I like avocados!"

Finally, after the success I have had so far in learning to like foods, as well as the success my husband has had, I must confess. At this point, when I hear someone insist they don't like something, in my head, I think they are just being stubborn. But I figure it's fair enough, since lord knows they all think worse things about me in their heads when they hear I'm vegan!!!! :-D


No comments:

Post a Comment