Friday, July 6, 2012

No Longer a Draft Dodger

I know this is silly, but over the past few years, I had been ever so slightly annoyed at the growing beer culture in LA (and in every large city, I'm sure). As a non-beer drinker, I obviously didn't get it (ok, still don't get it), and I got sick of constantly hearing about "craft brews on tap" and "artisan beers" and "local brews." Honestly, I'm sure I still could not differentiate between an "artisan" beer and a Miller Light. Regardless, I figured that my vacation in Wisconsin would be a great time to FINALLY try and dive into a local brew culture!

My first night in Madison was a big one! I ordered a beer with dinner at a restaurant, for the second time in my life (and after walking to the restaurant in 105 degree heat, I do admit that an ice cold beer didn't sound unappealing!)...... We went to a bar after dinner, where I drank another beer, meaning it was the first time in my life I ever consumed 2 entire beers within the same month, let alone on the same night!.... And finally, for the first time ever, I asked what local beers they had "on tap", so I drank my first ever draft beer. 39 years old, ladies and gentlemen! ;-)

I stayed dark with my beers last night. I had a "Mudpuppy Porter" at dinner and a "Bourbon Barrel Stout" at the bar, both coincidently made by Central Waters Brewer's Reserve. They were fine, nothing Earth shatteringly good or bad, just your usual flavorful and bitter dark beers.

However, I should mention that the beer my husband had at dinner was GOOD! He drank some of it, and proclaimed "This is the best beer I have ever tasted!" (granted, he has probably only tasted about 12 kinds of beer in his life). And I had to agree.... it was the best beer I had ever tasted as well! It was the seasonal beer by New Glarus and it was called Dancing Man.

So, there you go. First day of my Wisconsin Beer Tour was a success! Five more days to go! And maybe, I'll return home as a beer loving woman. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment