Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Blowing Through the Jasmine in My Mouth

(Sorry, that title came out sounding a lot more X rated than I intended)

I have a shocking confession to make, that I know most people just won't understand. It's about ice cream, or frankly, any kind of frozen treat (Italian Ices, Popsicles, Tofutti Cuties, You Name It). I don't really like them all that much. I mean, I don't HATE them.... I surely had no need to try and get over my aversion to them through the course of this project.... but I never *crave* frozen treats. Given the choice between cake or ice cream, the cake would win 100% of the time. Over the past 15 or so years, I think on average I have found myself eating a frozen treat maybe twice a year. And over the past 3 1/2 years, I have eaten a frozen treat a grand total of *1* time.... before tonight. Because in 2009, I ate a Gelato That Ruined Everything.

To back track a little.... as everyone knows, this is a great time to be a vegan! Over my 14 years of veganism, I am constantly surprised by the advances that are always being made in vegan food. And in my optimistic moments, I like to believe that I am just ahead of my time, and that soon enough, people (ok, Liberal or Progressive people.... these are the people who should know better than to eat anything having to do with a cow. Conservatives can keep eating cow products. It doesn't clash with their belief system, the way it clashes with a Liberal belief system) will turn away from the meat and dairy, because the Earth demands that we cut it out.... and then, there will be Even Yet Still More Great Vegan Options! :-)

For several years now, there has been a great gelato place in LA called Scoops, where they do crazy flavor combinations, and where they also offer between 2 - 4 vegan options every day. And I've eaten there several times over the years, and always thought it was pretty good. Then, I went back to Rome in 2009.... and ate a soia gelato at a place right next to the Trevi Fountain... and it was SO RIDICULOUSLY GOOD that I decided I could never bring myself to eat any other gelato, ever again! In the 3 1/2 years since I ate that chocolate and hazelnut gelato, I have been to Scoops many times, and every time but once, I passed on it, because I knew it wouldn't be as good as The Gelato That Ruined Everything.
The Gelato That Ruined Everything
Back to today. I recently learned that Scoops has a new location. And I have been following them closely, just waiting for a day when they would feature a vegan flavor that was something I don't like... and I knew they would do this soon, because they really go wild with their flavors, and I would tend not to deviate from something like chocolate or peanut butter. Today, when I saw one of their vegan flavors was "Blueberry Jasmine" well, I knew I had to get some of that!

This flavor was potentially a Double Whammy for me. Most importantly, I hate food that tastes like flowers. But secondly, although I do like blueberries very much, I would NEVER choose to eat a fruit flavored ice cream. It's just not my style! I was very proud my myself for being brave enough to march in and get that Blueberry Jasmine gelato. And honestly, it was very good! It mostly tasted of blueberry, which I enjoyed, and it had just a tiny hint of jasmine in the after taste. So, it didn't taste like Grandma or anything! :-) This flavor of gelato is something I never in a million years would have tried before embarking on this project. I'll be patting myself on the back all night for being so open minded! ;-)

Well, I won't say that I have conquered Floral Foods, but I think my willingness to try is at least a step in the right direction!


No comments:

Post a Comment