Saturday, May 19, 2012

Rockin' Reuben

Today was a monumental day for me! I hate something that I have never eaten in my life before. Behold!





Some people may be thunderstruck that I spent those 17 Meat Eating Years of my life in New Jersey, where Reuben sandwiches are almost as plentiful as Pork Rolls, yet I never ate one until I got my hands on a vegan Reuben today. But let me give you a brief itinerary of the contents of a Reuben that I didn't like during those 17 Meat Eating Years. 1) Corned Beef and / or Pastrami 2) Sauerkraut 3) Swiss Cheese 4) Russian and / or Thousand Island Dressing 5) Rye Bread. In other words, I wouldn't have eaten a single ingredient that one would put on a Reuben sandwich! The closest I would have gotten to a Reuben would have been a Bologna and American Cheese Sandwich with Iceberg Lettuce on Wonder Bread! But now that I have conquered sauerkraut to the point that I actually love it, I figured the time had come to experience a very famous American sandwich!

I have been eating at Native Foods for about as long as I've lived in Los Angeles. You pretty much can't go wrong there. I'd consider it to be a Must Eat place for any vegans visiting LA. Now, you're probably wondering, what the heck goes on a vegan Reuben?!? The answer is: Thinly-sliced, deli-style Native Reuben Seitan piled high on grilled marble rye.  Topped with homemade sauerkraut, Native Horseradish Cheese and a slather of Russian dressing.

Anyway, it was great! I believe that my life has improved by my new found ability to eat Reuben sandwiches. I know there are a few other places around town that offer them. And I'd be happy to sample each and every one of them! I sure have come a long way from  a Bologna and American Cheese Sandwich with Iceberg Lettuce on Wonder Bread! :-)
However, too many trips to Native Foods will make one feel a bit Rubenesque.
I ate something else crazy at Native Foods, but you're going to have to wait and wonder what it was, until tomorrow.... let's just say that Everything Was Coming Up Roses.....

No comments:

Post a Comment