Monday, May 7, 2012

Once Bitten, Twice Chai

Over the course of this project, I have made so many things I never imagined I would EVER try to create in my kitchen. Mole. Pickled Red Onions. A Michelada. And now, I have made another undesirable recipe from scratch. I made Chai.

I rather enjoyed the Chai I made from the tragic, lonely Chai teabag I uncovered in my tin of Herbal Tea For Old People. All I had to do was free myself from the notion that I was drinking Ruined Tea, and convince myself I was drinking Something Else Entirely. After I liked that cup of Chai, I looked forward to making some good Chai, from scratch! I'm sure I could find at least 4 places that offer up Vegan Chai within a 2 block radius of my house, but you know me. I'm a cooker, not a buyer!

So, I boiled up that mixture of cardamom pods, cinnamon sticks, cloves, peppercorns and ginger, simmered it, then added the soymilk and honey. I shared a cup with my husband. While we both really liked it, we both found it too sweet. I was sceptical about the fact the recipe told me to put 1/4 of honey in a recipe for 2 cups of Chai, but who I am to have an opinion on a Chai recipe? But turns out, I was right. 2 tbsp would have been perfect. Oh well, next time. And yes, there WILL be a next time, because I can safely say I LIKE CHAI now!
Hubby and I sat down with our Chai and watched some Downton Abbey
 I also want to update you on the BEER situation. I have slowed down a bit on it, but I'm still trying, don't worry! The other day, Hubby and I split a bottle of Fat Weasel Ale. Hoo boy, do I still have a long way to go!!! It was bitter and not good! My husband really didn't care for it, and he has decided that he likes beer now. Wheat beer, that is. And I was stunned when he told me what he did a week or so ago. He was out and got one of his beloved hard ciders, but it was a tad too sweet, so he wanted to wash the sweet taste out of his mouth... which he did with a *Guiness*! I was shocked! So, he has decided that he knows what kinds of beer he can drink, and that is good enough, because no one has to like ALL kinds of beer! However, I am not satisfied to just sit back and say, "I can drink lager now and not barf.... good enough!" I plan to keep on trying the beers that I DON'T like. That is the point of this whole thing!
I can promise you my husband won't be chasing this weasel around any mulberry bushes!
Finally, I've been drinking that Cranberry Hibiscus Blend. It definitely doesn't count as cranberry. It's way too good! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment