Monday, March 19, 2012

Cheater, Cheater, Tabbouleh Eater

Yesterday was chock full of bad things to eat and drink!!!! :-)

It started off with a lovely breakfast of Portabello Benedict. It came out beautiful, and as far as I was concerned, there was nothing to dislike about it. My husband was very brave and agreed to let me put the full amount of mustard that the recipe called for... a staggering 3 Tbsp of the yellow stuff! But this all went into the mushroom marinade, and not into the Hollandaise sauce itself, so he ended up having no issue with the final result!

After enjoying my delicious breakfast, I knew that I was going to get tough with myself for the rest of the day! For lunch, I made myself (and this was too insane for Hubby to even consider eating!) an Avocado and Pink Grapefruit Salad. Basically, it was a plate of mâche, sliced avocado and the fruit from half of a pink grapefruit, with a dressing that was made from the juice of the other half of the grapefruit, combined with things like honey, sesame oil, soy sauce and coriander. I was under the impression that pink grapefruit was milder than normal grapefruit.... damned if I could tell a difference! I mean, when it had the flavorful dressing on it, it always tasted pretty good initially, but then that bitter after taste just creeps on in and ruins all the fun! I ended up eating all of the grapefruit out of the salad first, to be done with it. And I have to say, once the actual fruit was gone, my mâche and avocado salad was pretty good, even in spite of the fact it was still covered in pink grapefruit juice. I consider this to be progress!!!

Dinner was Korean Barbeque Burgers, which I made primarily because I had some leftover radishes, and the recipe says you're supposed to put radishes on top of these. Not that I ever did that in the past, mind you, but things are different now. I put a rather large amount of thinly sliced radishes on my burger, and you know what? They actually added a nice amount of crunch and spiciness to the overall flavor! Once again, my new mantra was correct.... repeat it with me again... If it isn't an important part of the recipe, it wouldn't be in the recipe at all...

Now, for the side dish, I was a big cheater. I wanted to try my hand at making tabbouleh. I figured maybe I would like it better fresh. But I was still traumatized by my experience of eating that handful of parsley that made me gag and spit it all into the sink, so I took the Weenie's Way Out and I made Cilantro Tabbouleh. I figured maybe I had to take baby steps to embrace tabbouleh. Well, I suppose my homemade tabbouleh wasn't bad. The flavor was perfectly fine! But it was soggy. So, the Cilantro Solution actually didn't solve my tabbouleh problems! I guess I need to maybe leave tabbouleh to the professionals and try it done right the next time I go to a Middle Eastern restaurant.

AND IF THIS ALL WASN'T ENOUGH FOR ONE DAY: I also tried another kind of beer. Anchor Steam Beer. Holy crow, that was some VILE stuff!!! By far the worst beer I have ever tasted... hell, it was perhaps one of the worst things I have ever tasted, period! I don't mean during the course of the past 3 weeks, I mean during the course of my entire life! That one, I couldn't finish! How do they sell this stuff?!?

 

No comments:

Post a Comment