Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Of Parsley and Pasta, Of Radishes and Reubens

I have a few thoughts to get off my chest.

* It's been over 2 weeks that I have been on this Eating Light kick. Mainly, going without a normal amount of processed foods has been quite unusual! I realized that this is literally the longest period I have gone IN MY LIFE (after I began solid foods as a wee child, that is!) that I haven't had any pasta! I've eaten the stuff *minimum* once a week (but usually, at least 2 - 3 times a weeks) since 1974. This is a record that I never intended to set, nor do I ever plan to replicate!
These days, I wanna cry out of sheer longing to have a bowl of pasta ANYWHERE in my vicinity, including over my head!
* I don't think I have mentioned that there have been a couple of bizarre, stand out successes in this project so far. For one, radishes. I hated them! Even when I first ate them during this experiment, I hated them! But now, I love them! I've been making so many radish recipes (at least 1 or 2 per week), that my husband keeps exclaiming a bewildered, "More radishes?!?" each time I need to buy another bunch. Another strange success is Reuben Sandwiches. I am not kidding that ever since I had My Second Reuben about 2 1/2 weeks ago, I have thought about eating a Reuben at least 500 times a day. The good news is that we found out that Native Foods is giving away free meals on Thursday! So, I will be celebrating my birthday a day early with my long awaited Reuben!
All I do, the whole day through, is dream of you!

* At the very beginning of this project, I discovered that I had a bit of an issue with parsley... at least in large doses. I decided to re-visit that the other night, and I had A Study in Parsley for dinner... a Classic Israeli Salad and a Quinoa and Artichoke Salad with Parsley... both recipes which were heavy in parsley. And both which caused me no problem whatsoever.

* And finally..... I've been going at it with mineral water. I can finally say that I have conquered it! Took maybe 6 or 7 small bottles, but I have officially adapted to it's strange, mineral flavor. Now I will not be afraid of the mineral water if I ever dare to return to Germany again, since last time, they all thought it was funny to keep giving me mineral water, even though I kept asking for "still" water. Now, my only fear of Germany is those toilets with the shelves in them!!! ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment