Thursday, June 21, 2012

Climbing on the Turnip Truck

Well, I learned, yet again, that I apparently have a penchant for being prejudiced and rather stubborn. All my life, I was under the assumption that I didn't like turnips. Granted, I didn't encounter them often, but when faced with a turnip option, I would have shunned it, assuming that I didn't like them. And I am pretty sure that I never actually ate a turnip before I started this project! I had some near the very beginning of this, in some sort of Root Vegetable Mash. And I was not offended by them, but of course, they were mashed up with potatoes and sweet potatoes, things which I have always loved. So, I figured I needed to eat some turnips that weren't closely combined with two of my close friends, so I could weigh them on their own merit!

Hubby and I are still Eating Light. I feel pretty sure this is the longest I have ever gone in my life without eating a decent amount of processed foods. Granted, I've had tofu twice, and I indulged in a slice of a baguette while I was watching the Mad Men finale, but aside from that, it's been nothing but veggies, beans, veggies, whole grains, veggies, nuts, veggies, fruit and veggies for the past 10 days. And after a seemingly endless array of salads, I mixed things up last night and made a Spring Vegetable Minestrone... yes, I suppose I was one day late on Spring, but oh well! Anyway, this soup displayed turnips in all their glory. And there is nothing wrong with a turnip! They are totally fine! Nothing to fear! I liked that turnip in my soup! If only it were as easy to like cranberry juice or seaweed snacks as it was to realize that I have no real issue with turnips.
I have no idea. This appeared when I did an image search for turnips. Internet, what are you like?!?
Anyway, I'm really getting down to the nitty gritty here. There are only a handful of foods that I haven't conquered! I'm not sure that I'll be able to master anything more exciting than mineral water over the next week, but then, my birthday shall come... perhaps time for some more champagne?!

1 comment:

  1. That picture is not a-mazing, it's THE-mazing! What are you like, Internet, indeed!!

    ReplyDelete