Sunday, January 20, 2013

J'ai cuit bouffées et j'ai mangé un croissant!

Salut!

Just a couple of things on my mind today, that I wanted to share! First, I would like you to know that I made another item from my Vegan Things I Want That I Will Never Make Pinterest Board. And here they are!
Yes, 2 out of the 3 things I have made so far have employed my mini muffin tin...
 They are Savory Olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Puffs. And they were not premeditated, they just kind of happened out of necessity! You see, we are back on the ol' Let's Avoid Processed Foods Because It Makes Us Eat Really Healthy kick again. As part of this, I made a gigantic pot of Veggistrone soup the other night. Gigantic! And I basically never feed my husband leftovers for dinner, but the massive vat of soup demanded that I serve it for another dinner. Initially, I served it with a side of Quinoa and Parsley Salad, but I ate that all up (guys, when I am on the No Processed Kick, I swear I live almost entirely on quinoa, romaine, cherry tomatoes, chick peas and avocados). And my husband and I were planning to go out for cocktails, and I didn't want us to have drinks with nothing but some green beans and cauliflower in our bellies! So, I frantically ran to my VTIWTIWNM board, to find a nice treat (by treat, I mean something involving a sinful processed food like flour) that would go with soup, and that consisted entirely of foods I already had in the pantry. Savory Olive and Sun-Dried Tomato Puffs were the answer!

You know, I used to make a lot more biscuits, bread and savory muffins to enjoy with soup, but I got out of the habit.... surely because I got into the better habit of eating soup with some healthier option, like a nice salad.... but I should make them more frequently than I do. These Puffs weren't life changing, but they were actually super quick and easy to make, and we both enjoyed them!

And just so you know my heart is still true to the original purpose of this blog.... I ate a croissant today!
I'm actually going to Paris in June, so I figured I better practice!

Why, you may ask, is this worth mentioning?!? Well, because I spent the past 20 or so years insisting that I didn't like croissants! And I didn't include them in my list of food to conquer because... well, for one, it just didn't occur to me.... and this is because, where the heck do you ever even see a vegan croissant on this Earth?!?

The answer today was a new restaurant called LA Vegan Crepe. It's French, it's vegan, it's a rare combo! We had brunch there today, and I passed up on trying one of their crepes when I saw they had a Tofu and Cheese Croissant Sandwich. And I sure don't regret it! Wow, croissants are delicious! At least this vegan one was!!! I know I ate croissants as a little girl, but somewhere along the line, I got turned off by them (I don't remember what kind of traumatic croissant mishap made me suddenly afraid of them), and then I went vegan, and croissants were no longer even remotely part of my reality, so I stayed stuck in I Don't Like Croissants mode. I have no idea what my problem is. What a pain in the ass idiot I have been about food in the past!!! I am very glad that I have dealt with myself... and that I continue to deal with myself!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment